WASHINGTON, D.C. / RankWire.AI / – U.S. President Donald Trump has delayed new 50% tariffs on selected Canadian imports for three days as trade negotiations continue. The duties had been set to begin on August 19. Trump said the two countries had reached an understanding that still required final documentation. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said negotiators had made substantial progress but still had important work to finish. The new deadline falls on Saturday, August 22.

Washington introduced the additional tariff plan in July under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930. The measure covers designated Canadian products despite preferential treatment available through the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement. The White House linked the action to Canadian trade policies affecting dairy products, alcoholic beverages and motor vehicles. The planned duties add another layer to a broader trade dispute between the two countries. Several separate U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods already remain in force.
The new tariff list includes categories such as Canadian wine, cement and sporting goods. U.S. authorities excluded energy, potash and certain other products from the additional Section 338 charges. Products already covered by separate Section 232 tariffs also fall outside the latest measure. Those existing duties include tariffs affecting Canadian steel, aluminum and automobiles. The latest three-day pause applies only to the new 50% tariff package and does not remove those earlier trade measures.
Negotiators continue work on trade terms
Officials from Canada and the United States continued talks in Washington after the tariff deadline moved. The discussions cover market access, digital trade, economic security commitments and several existing sectoral disputes. U.S. officials have described the talks as producing a framework for an agreement. Neither government, however, has published a completed final text. Carney has continued to say that negotiations remain unfinished as officials work through outstanding issues between the two major trading partners.
Canada also maintains countermeasures on some U.S. steel, aluminum and automotive products. The governments have discussed agricultural market access and restrictions affecting sales of U.S. alcoholic beverages in Canadian provinces. Those disputes sit alongside the separate Section 338 tariff action. Canadian officials have also sought relief from existing U.S. sectoral tariffs during the negotiations. The current pause does not change the status of those measures, which remain part of the wider bilateral trade discussions.
USMCA remains central to cross-border trade
The USMCA continues to provide tariff-free access for a large share of goods traded across the Canada-U.S. border. Canada says about 85% of its exports to the U.S. market currently enter without tariffs under the agreement. The planned Section 338 duties differ because they apply to covered products regardless of USMCA eligibility. Canada has challenged several U.S. tariff measures while continuing direct negotiations with the Trump administration. The agreement remains the main framework governing trade among the United States, Canada and Mexico.
As of August 20, neither government had released a final bilateral agreement resolving the latest tariff dispute. The three-day postponement prevents the new 50% duties from starting before the August 22 deadline. Trump has said the countries reached an understanding, while Canada continues to say significant work remains. Officials are still working on unresolved terms and the documents required to formalize any completed arrangement. Until then, the newly announced tariffs remain on hold while existing sectoral duties continue to apply.
